Monday, May 1, 2017

Rat killing adventures

April 17th

Well it's arrived yet again, can you believe it's my last email for this transfer? It was a quick 6 weeks!
This week was more of the same. We actually found people to teach, but the problem we're having is finding them at home to teach them again! But when we did splits this week, I found some people that seem pretty interested but I marked for next week, so lets hope it goes well with them.
Something cool that we did this week was the ward activity. We have 4 missionaries in the ward and so us 4 planned an activity to try to animate the ward and get them to help us out with referrals and stuff. We divided the ward into 2 teams Each person that brings a non member to the activity gets 3 points and each person they bring to sacrament gets 5. During the activity we had various activities for them to do that could win points too. It was kind of a bummer because we planned a bunch of scripture questions and games, but not very many people showed up. We're planning on doing it over the next 3 weekends too so we still have time to get the members involved!
So something super funny that happened on Friday! My comp and I were planning the ward activity with the other elders in our ward that live with us when one of them sat up a bit and pointed across the room and yelled "rat!" We all turned around and there it was, a huge rat crawling along the wall. It was about 7 or 8 inches long head to tail. We hurried and made a strategy of how we were going to get it out of the apartment and kill it without having it bleed, because it smells super bad. One of the elders snuck around quietly and shut all the doors while the rest of us got ready in our spots. I was waiting on the other side of the front door with a heavy wooden shoe while the others had pieces of wood and other things. They were able to scare it outside and when it passed me I swung at it but missed! My 3rd attempt was good and i got one of its back legs so it was going slower. Then we started hitting it back and forth as it ran around crazy. I was dying laughing the whole time, the whole situation was so funny! Eventually Elder Santana, one of the elders that lives with us, was able to get a solid hit on his head and it died. Then we put an old shirt over it and put elder Torres in charge of picking it up and putting it in a sac. It was so funny watching him because he was so grossed out he literally couldnt do it! He kept saying "Its body is so squishy and soft!!" But after a few minutes he was able to do it. I have a video of that part, Ill try to send it to you guys!
This week I was thinking about my friends and how cool it is that I have so many serving serving all around the world, literally!
I'm 1/3 of the way done with my mission now. Its weird because I still feel kind of new out here! It really does go by quick!
Other than that not much else exciting happened this week. Im looking forward to transfers to see what will happen. I love you all and thanks so much for all that you do! I can really feel the support from you guys and the rest of our family and friends. Until next week!
Love Spence


No comments:

Post a Comment