Sunday, May 20, 2018

Visiting Araçatuba and Bus issues

May 12th

Hey there!

Wow, it was a great week! This past week we basically just spent traveling around to other cities to do splits with the zone leaders. On Wednesday I got to go back to Araçatuba and work in my very first area again! It's been a year and 4 months since I've been there. I ran into the bishop at the church building and at the end of the day I got to see my very first baptism, Eunice! She was super excited to see me. It was funny, because at first she didn't recognize me because it was dark outside. But once we got inside she turned and saw me then gave a little scream! But it really was such a fun time to catch up with her and see that she's still going strong at can be in the church.

The next day we headed to another city called Birigui, and I got to go out with Elder Cleverly from my group, one of my best friends on the mission. It's kinda funny because even though we've been on the mission this whole time together, we've never gotten to work or teach together! So it was a blast to spend a day with him. We taught a family of 5 that he's teaching and I was super impressed with them. In the family there is a mom, her sister, and 3 little girls. The mom has gone through a lot of hard times in her life but now is super excited for her baptism. She's already totally converted and hasn't even been baptized yet! We taught about temples and they already got super excited to go to the Campinas temple to do baptisms for the dead for their ancestors. 
After the day was over, Elder Niedert and I were planning on taking an overnight bus to Ribeirão Preto because we needed to be here early friday morning to plan for zone conferences. So we headed out but once we got to the bus station at 11:15 at night, we realized that the ticket booth had already closed... Dang! But we knew we'd still be able to pay the bus driver in cash, but the problem was that we only had money on our cards! So we went to a restaurant to see if they would let us pass R$100 on our cards and give us cash back, but they said they couldn't. As we were looking of anther place to take out money, a member puled up out of nowhere and asked "Elders, what are you guys doing? Need help?" We explained our situation and he told us to jump into the car. We zoomed to a bank to take our money, but the door was locked. We went to another one and even though the door was open, all the atms were broken! So we went back to the bus station and found out from a homeless guy that the bus had just left 2 mins before... So, we went back to the other missionaries apartment and and then ended up taking the bus the next morning. It was a funny experience!

It's been a really good 3 weeks so far here in the office again. My comp Elder Niedert is a great missionary and I'm learning lots everyday. I'm so grateful to be here and for everything that happens out here in the mission field! Until next week!

Elder Odom

No comments:

Post a Comment