Monday, February 5, 2018

A new investigator

January 27th


This week was great! Until now, we've been having a bit of a hard time with our teaching group, but we were able to make headway this week. This week we had a great experience with a new investigator. His name is Cesar and we was a referral from Leila, our investigator. We talked to him last Sunday and we were able to teach him the first lesson this past Tuesday. It was great! He is very smart and polite and can see things/think in a a logical way like so many people can't. The lessons we teach are very logical; they make a lot of sense and are simple. Because of this, he was able to understand very well the "why" of prophets, the apostasy, etc. When we invited him to pray about our message, he said that if he got an answer, he "wouldn't have any way to not follow an answer from God". And when we marked a date with him, he even asked "what time will the baptism be?" I don't think I've ever had someone except a date so easily while at the same time understanding what he was agreeing to! It's great to see the hand of the Lord in this work, with patience and perseverance the blessings will always come.

We've been having a lot of great opportunities given to us to find more people. Friends of members coming to activities, people approaching us in the street, investigators giving us referrals, it's been so cool! It doesn't always happen like this on the mission, so we are really trying to take advantage of it while we can!

Something that I've felt impressed to study more this week is about the temple. Kind of funny, because I don't have a temple on my mission! And it's here on the mission I've come to be grateful for the temple... Probably because of the fact I can't go! I was able to get my hands on a really cool book called "You can claim the blessings of the holy temple" by Boyk K. Packer. I've really started to recognize how lucky we are to have so many temples where we live. A quote I really like from it is; "Those who fail to partake of the privileges and blessings of the temple work deprive themselves of some of the choicest gifts within the keeping of the Church". Wow! That's powerful! The members here consider themselves lucky that they only need to pay 100 Reais (their money) and take a 3 hour bus ride to get to the nearest temple. Man, there are a lot of things that I think that I should've done differently at home, but going to the temple more is up there as one of the biggest. You guys should find this book and read it. It's super good!

All in all a successful week for me. It's great being a missionary! I'm always grateful for the experiences I have to learn and grow and help others. There really isn't any other time like this in my life! Love you all!

Elder Odom

No comments:

Post a Comment