Friday, December 1, 2017

Listening to the Spirit

November 18th

Wow, Nick's home! I can't believe it! All this time thinking and imagining this moment and it's finally here! Like I've already said, it's pretty weird to think that it's over for him. Although, he served a good mission!

So, a few experiences that I had this week. Something that was really cool that happened was one night both of the appointments we marked fell through and the people we were going to visit weren't home. So, we decided to look for new investigators with the time we had to spare. As we were walking, I was thinking to myself, "I have no idea where to go... Heavenly Father, please take us to someone that will accept our message or someone that we can help". We were just going up and down the streets without a destination in mind, just trying to find someone on the road that we could talk to. We passed a house that had a door open and when I looked at it, I had this very subtle feeling that was telling me to knock on that door. So, I did! And older lady walked out and we started to talk to her. Her name is Julie. For some reason also, about 5 minutes before we knocked on her door, I had the idea to talk about Christ's baptism and the example he set for us. We started talking about that and she really understood the importance of it, it was cool. She told us about a surgery that she needs on her right eye, but for some reason she needs to wait until the doctors can give it to her, so she's just waiting to get it. Then Elder Vilas Boas made a promise to her: "If you put into practice the things that we will teach you and do your part to come unto Christ, you will be able to get your surgery before the year is over." Wow! It's already late in the year and it's been awhile since she's been waiting for it! But when he said that, I felt a confirmation that his promise is true. As missionaries, at times we say things that even we don't expect! But that's what happens when we're trying to follow the Spirit, because it's not us that're teaching, it's the Holy Ghost. It was really interesting to see how quickly the Lord answered my prayer to find someone that was in need and that would listen to us. We literally had no idea where we should go, and, without realizing it until afterward, we were led by Him right to Julie's door. We don't always see or recognize all the times the Spirit is leading us or telling us what to do, but we can be sure that if we are always doing our best to follow the commandments and do what's right then he will!

This week President went to another city called Santos for the Mission Presidents Meeting with all the mission presidents in Brazil. There he got to talk to Elder Aidukaitis and his wife who said they remember me pretty well! President and Sister Scholz thought it was pretty cool too that they still go to our ward when they are in Utah. Our ward is awesome! They also talked to President and Sister Chamberlain and they said that Ty is doing a fine job. I also sent the flash drive with the music on it with Pres Scholz and he gave it to Ty's mission Pres, so he should be good to go with music now!

But other than that, we've just been busy with our normal stuff in mission office. Something interesting though is that I'll be getting a 2nd companion next week! Elder Vilas Boas has been in the office since last February and he will be leaving to go back to being a field missionary on the 18th of next month, and will train the new Elder until then. It's a bit sad, because Elder Vilas Boas is awesome! We've been together for almost 6 months and we've never even disagreed about anything! I've really enjoyed this time that I've had with him as my comp. We are so used to each other now that it's getting to the point where I know what he's going to say before he says it and stuff. It's really fun to teach with him because we always are in super good sync with each other. It's be sad to see him go, but I'm sure he has lot's of great new experiences waiting for him working in the field full time!

Sorry for the shorter email, but this week was a bit less exciting. Thank you though for all the support that I get from you guys, I really appreciate it, for real! 

Elder Odom

No comments:

Post a Comment