Monday, October 17, 2016

Rain, Teaching English and Hard Work

Hey family and friends! Another week down in Brazil. So, this week was pretty good! I had a few cool things happen this week.

First is about my investigator Mourilho, We taught him again, adn he is just eating it up. everything we teach he loves. we asked him how he felt when he read the Book of Mormon and prayed. He said he felt peaceful and happy, so i explained that thats the Holy Ghost speaking to him that the gospel is true! Toward the end of the lesson, i asked him to be baptized, and he said yes to the 5th of November! Its awesome. Then when we talked about the Book of Mormon and asked him what he thinks, he siad that its true, straight up. Its way cool to have an investigator like him, its almost too good to be true! As of now I think hes our only investigator who is making progress, but on saturday when we had a member call him to make sure he was still good to go for church, he said that he couldnt go, which was a bummer. I was really looking forward to having him there! But anyway, Elder ONeill and i have plans to help out our other ones.

2 days this week it rained super hard! The first day we were in a memebers house, and i heard the loudest thunder of my life! it was crazy how loud, it hurt my ears! on friday the rain poured down for 2 hours, making the streets all turn into full on rivers! After it was done raining, the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. Funny how much it changed in so little time! 

This week we had the cool opprotunity to go teach english at a school near our house! a member in our ward is a teacher there, and so we told her we would help her out. So we just went there and answered questions, explained how to pronounce certain words, etc. then at the end I gave an overveiw of why were here. Like why would we spend 2 years without seeing our families, and being able to listen to music or watch movies, go to a new country and learn a language, etc. Its because we know that our message is true! Then i talked a little bit about what we believe in, invited them all to church and handed out cards with a number they could call to get a BoM and learn more. We ended up getting at least 5 people that were interested which is super awesome! We have plans to go to 2 other english schools this upcoming week, it was a great fun way to share the gospel!

This week I was actully able to see some progress with Portuguese which is super exciting! I am continuing to learn to speak better, and understanding has been better the past few days than it has ever before. With some people I am actually able to get the idea of what theyre saying, but only at times, not all the time. Church was still hard becuase I didnt really understand anything there, but I have gotten to the point where I know that I cant do it on my own and I am working hard to learn, and that is all that God asks of me, so I need to is wait with patience and hope. Hope is what I have been thinking about a lot this week. There are a few awesome scriptures I found that have to do with hope, Romans 8:24-25 and Hebrews 6:10-20, Moroni 7:40-48 is also super good. I know that I will recieve all the blessings and promises that God hasa given me. One of these is the Gift of Tongues and Interpretation of Tongues, and that with these I will be able to fulfill my purpose as a missionary!

So, thats about it for all the exciting stuff this week, not a ton of lessons, etc but Elder Oneill and I are working on new ways to find and new lesson plans that we could use to get more people interested. Well, thats it from me, have a great week everyone!

 -Elder Odom

No comments:

Post a Comment